Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Paiute Trail System, Central Utah

14K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  therebel19 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in Salina, UT and my everyday riding is done in the Paiute Trail system. I created this thread to share pics of places I take my new X4 that are all around my house.

I am now continuing this thread but in my RMAX4.

#40 ·
So I went and road the west mountain out here in Sevier County over to Fillmore, UT to visit my mom today. I took the RMAX for it's maiden voyage on this same ride last fall but it was during break-in and also it was when I noticed the front diff was leaking so I limped it. I made up for it today. The RMAX rocked! Love this thing more and more every time I hit the trail in it. That aside. It was another beautiful day on the Paiute Trail system.

#41 ·
Did some more riding out in another section of the Paiute Trail system yesterday. About 85 miles total out towards Marysvale, The Tushars, and Fish Creek on the west mountain. Had a good sized group. The RMAX4, 2 buggies, two 2 seater RZR Turbos, one 4 seat RZR Turbo, one Can-am X3, and one 4 seat RZR 1000. Believe my I made those Turbos work to keep up. Amazing beautiful day though with a bunch of cool people. I didn't get many scenic shots due to the group size to show around but I did finally remember to bring the action can and got a bunch of video so hopefully it's good and I can get some action up on the screen.

#42 ·
Just about ready to head out. Can anybody recommend a good video editing app? Something that will allow me to delete and/or change audio.

#43 ·
I use both Openshot and Lossless Cut free editors depending on what I'm doing. Openshot is easy to learn and user friendly. Lossless Cut is rudimentary but super fast because it doesn't encode again after editing is done. I use it for fast combining and trimming of videos.

#44 ·
Ok. So I mounted the cam in a crappy spot so the camera shook like in SOB during high speed driving furthermore most of my footage sucks. Back to the drawing board I guess. I got a couple ok clips during slower driving though. Here's one at a spot we stopped for lunch. Just a quickie.

Reactions: Doc T and Jimbo
#45 ·
I totally would have trimmed this up to be shorter but I still haven't found a good editing app yet that I like.

#46 · (Edited)
Couple things I've learned as I've taken the camera footage journey.

Quality mount is important and if you can, the latest generation gopro cameras have an absolutely amazing hypersmooth algorithm to keep things smooth.

I use the pilot pro mount. American made and uses a RAM mount compatible ball system which makes it versatile. Rock solid clamp on the rollbars or bumpers. Worth the cost IMO.

And actually the adhesive surface mounts that come with the gopro's work pretty well mounted on the dash, but I dislike it being behind the windshield when the dust coats it.

#47 ·
Couple things I've learned as I've taken the camera footage journey.

Quality mount is important and if you can, the latest generation gopro cameras have an absolutely amazing hypersmooth algorithm to keep things smooth.

I use the pilot pro mount. American made and uses a RAM mount compatible ball system which makes it versatile. Rock solid clamp on the rollbars or bumpers. Worth the cost IMO.

And actually the adhesive surface mounts that come with the gopro's work pretty well mounted on the dash, but I dislike it being behind the windshield when the dust coats it.
Thanks for the advice. I've actually looked at GoPros recently. I have a cheapo cam right now but it really does well. I just had it stuck to the top of thd Adventure Pro compartment and not being real solid there I noticed the camera shaking like an earthquake was happening as soon as I hit dirt. I think Im gonna try right where the passenger grab handle comes out next. That part seems pretty solid. I just wanted it within arms reach that's why I tried where I did.

#48 ·
I recognize that view. There is great riding around Marysvale.
Have you been east of there to Barney Lake?

Reactions: wolvymanx4
#51 ·
I recognize that view. There is great riding around Marysvale.
Have you been east of there to Barney Lake?
Yes many times in the past but not in the RMAX yet. I will be heading there soon though. One of my best buds lives in Monroe so we ride Monroe Mountain quite often. Such a pretty mountain! Ive even guided a couple of Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree rides up there in the past. Ill be sure to get some pics when I do.

Reactions: Doc T
#49 ·
Yes many times in the past but not in the RMAX yet. I will be heading there soon though. One of my best buds lives in Monroe so we ride Monroe Mountain quite often. Such a pretty mountain! Ive even guided a couple of Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree rides up there in the past. Ill be sure to get some pics when I do.

Reactions: DLX2
#50 · (Edited)
oops what is going on but i am have weird things happen while trying to post

Nevermind, maybe user error 😁

#52 ·
Went out riding in the Gooseberry ATV Trail system yesterday. This area also has parts of the Paiute trail system. Pretty fun day. I had a blast. I have ridden in parts of the lower area before but never as far out as on this ride. Ended up out to Lost Creek Reservoir. It didn't have a lot of water due to the drought were in but it was a really pretty ride in some big country. Ended up a 70 mile round trip and as we would expect the RMAX killed it!

#53 ·
I enjoy your posts. I live in St. George, and have been wanting to spend more time in the mountains around Richfield. I know the Beaver Mountains real well, but nothing north of I70. Until now I have always riden my 4 wheeler on any trail, but I need to get used to my Rmax 4 width restrictions. Now that I have an Rmax 4 I want to get the family out more. I think I’d like to either stay in Richfield or Fillmore then get to know the trails a little better. Any suggestions on trails I might like?

Someday….I want to park in Beaver and ride to Richfield, stay the night, then return to Beaver the next day. I know that’s a long ride, but I’d like to figure it out one day. If anyone has done it, I’d love some input.

Reactions: wolvymanx4
#54 ·
Sorry man I don't know how I missed this post. But if you do make it out this way I would suggest staying around the Richfield area. That way you can ride both sets of mountains if you stay in Fillmore you pretty much only get to ride on our West mountain.

#55 ·
Actually went out and did a good loop on the West mountain today. Had a blast! Actually met up with a forum member (RmaxUt074) and some friends and family of his for this ride. It was cool riding with you guys. Definitely have to do it again sometime.

P.S. It was awesome finally riding in a group where our RMAX'S were the majority!👍👍👍

#56 ·
Thanks for sending me the vid!

#58 ·
Very nice!!! I'm happy to hear you got to play out here. It's beautiful and a blast. I'm very blessed to have it all in my backyard. There are still soooo many trail out here that I haven't ridden. And I've been riding for years out here.

#59 ·
I got out up in the Tushars yesterday and finally got to ride Deer Creek trail above Marysvale. I love this trail. It's a constant climb and/or decent depending which way you are going and sucks when you come across other riders but is worth it. I went down from the top and then back up and had to back up a few times to a spot wide enough for others to pass but had a great time doing it. It was as beautiful as always.
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle
Tire Plant Wheel Plant community Vehicle

Plant Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

Plant Plant community Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

#60 ·
Here's some more. There are many of these cement block bridges on this trail at the creek crossings. This trail is also quite rugged in spots. I ran into a guy in a RZR 1000 on my way back up that wasn't used to mountain trails and he told me that the trail was too advanced for him. I also ran into an abandoned 50" RZR that looked to have snapped an a-arm.
Tire Plant Car Wheel Plant community

Tire Plant Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Car Plant community

Plant Water resources Plant community Water Green

Plant Window Tree Motor vehicle Natural landscape

Tire Land vehicle Car Mirror Vehicle

#63 ·
Just did the 1st service on my Rmax, and have booked a place in Ephraim, 9/25-10/8. Looks like ~30 miles from Salinas. Seems like I've read that some of the 50" restrictions have been changed to 66", but don't recall exactly where. I've been traveling to Utah for MTB, snow sports, ATV, and now SxS, since the late 90s. This will be my first exploration of the central part of the state. I've been back and forth, between Paiute and Arapeen, and decided to mainly ride the Arapeen system, this trip. Am I wrong? I still have the option to cancel the rental, if I change my mind.

#64 ·
You wont go wrong riding in either trail system. They are both fantastic. The Paiute system is larger but if your only gonna be out for a couple weeks there is no way you'll be able to totally ride either. Shit I've been riding them for over 15 years and haven't. LOL. Check out my Arapeen thread.

#68 ·
Sad time for the Paiute Trail System. We had a big fire in the Fillmore area back in July. I hadn't been able to do the ride over our west mountain to visit mom due to the trails that drop down into Fillmore being closed until recently. I decided to do the ride yesterday though and see the damage. I was devastated. The areas burnt were gorgeous before and now I'm sure that they'll never be beautiful again in my lifetime. I hear they caught the ignorant F@#%$ that started it. They should be shot IMO.
Cloud Plant Sky Natural landscape Larch

Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Automotive mirror

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Mountain

Mirror Cloud Sky Plant Mountain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.