New User, Is Spare ACTUALLY Required?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on New User, Is Spare ACTUALLY Required? within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; Hello, I just picked up a 2020 X4, all stock, just added a SuperATV 4500LBS winch. I am wondering what the best approach for flat-tire ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: New User, Is Spare ACTUALLY Required?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Hello, I just picked up a 2020 X4, all stock, just added a SuperATV 4500LBS winch.

I am wondering what the best approach for flat-tire preparedness is, here's what I'm mulling over. In a perfect world I don't like permanently adding the weight of a spare tire or heavy aftermarket tires. Here's the options I see?

-Getting the spare setup from Yamaha which is $400 plus wheel/tire. https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...-motor-company. Weight = roughly 46lbs sprung + mount weight:

-Just putting that money towards better tires. If you have experience with higher Ply tires, please comment. Are higher ply tires(even just 8ply) actually a lot less likely to get a flat or not really? (Not crazy about the stocks only being 4ply on a 1600lbs machine).
    Or go extreme with something like these 12ply heavy run-flats(https://utvactionmag.com/buyers-guid...tv-products/)?

-Or do nothing but carry a portable compressor and plugs. I have to say I've been riding quads in the Rockies for +/- 12 years and have never gotten, or ridden with anybody that's gotten a flat. Are these heavy side by sides a lot more likely to get flats? I'm a bit more concerned now either way as I'll now be taking the family out. Also, in my area, it typically wouldn't be that hard to get back to the main forestry road then limp home from there. But even if that happened, my next step would then be just to upgrade all 4 tires most likely. So that brings me back around to the PLY question, are higher ply tires far less likely to get a flat... in which case maybe I should just upgrade right now preemptively, carry my compressor and plugs, and be done with it?

-Also of note is that I'm not someone who needs to get aftermarket tires. I ran my stock Grizzly tires the entire time and never had an issue keeping up with basically all aftermarket tire riders. We ride mountains so I'm not crazy about raising my centre of gravity and I avoid mud if I can, so not getting stuck is usually more about line choice than tires. And although I'm not crazy about the 4 ply front Wolverine tires, they seem like a massive upgrade to the stock Grizzly tires... so I'm already happy in that sensce

Thanks Anyone for the Help/Suggestions,

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    Well seems you have the knowledge base to make your decision. There is no crystal ball but sure you will get an opinion or three. I have only been riding about 10 years, and have never had a flat I could not fix on the trail with basic stuff. But that's only happened twice. I have seen others lose a sidewall and I can tell you that ruins a day or a whole weekend, not to mention the impact of the buddies you are riding with. I do carry a spare OEM tire that is mismatched size to just get me rolling and back if needed. Tire choice is about terrain and riding choice and personally acceptable risk.
    Budro2, Dan, blast and 2 others like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate the feedback of real life flat experiences. I didn't mention that my riding is leaving from my garage for 2-6hr rides here and there. If I was doing multi-day trips with groups of people away from home, I'd be 100% bringing a spare just because the stakes are higher as you mentioned .
    And I'm fully willing to accept that my lack of flat occurrences could be pure luck. If it does happen from time to time I'm leaning towards the rear tire mount.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    Welcome to the forum! I have a spare wheel but have not carried it with me on the trail because of the weight & size. I do carry both a front and a rear spare wheel in the back of the truck. My fate would depend how far I am from the truck and how bad the damage is.

As you say the front OEM is 4-ply, the rear is 6-ply. On the trail I carry a compressor and tire plugs at all times, along with a battery booster pack. When I was ready to buy new tires I did two other things. I bought 8-ply tires, then put 2lbs (32 oz) of this in EACH tire: FlatOut 20134 Tire Sealant (Sportsman Formula), Great for ATVs, UTVs / Side-by-Sides, 32-Ounce, 4-Pack

I chose MultiSeal FlatOut product based on this video:

Have fun!
    Tsckey, Dan, jimclemjr and 2 others like this.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Moon Shiner
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    I haven't had a flat in my 10 years of riding ATVs/UTVs. I don't carry a spare, but like Paul65, I carry an extensive inventory of remedial measures. My riding territory is highly abrasive but otherwise not particularly hard on tires. I would probably carry a spare if my riding posed a greater threat of sidewall punctures/pinch flats.
    Paul65, Budro2, blast and 1 others like this.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Dragonfire "D" Steering Wheel, Assault Hub Adapter
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    OEM A-arm guards
    Driver's side shoulder bolster deleted
    Swaybars deleted
    Hunterworks sheave and exhaust tip
    Weller Racing reflashed ECU
    Super ATV 1.5" spacers, winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion 3,500 lbs winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks Paul and Tsckey.

Good call Paul on the MultiSeal product, I think I will have to pick up 4 bottles of that next time I'm in the city(Amazon won't ship to me). I also need to quit being lazy and grab a booster pack, I just have cables right now.

I went out for my third ride today in the Wolverine. The way to our picnic site had a stretch that was very washed out on a fair incline. Going down was hairy with the machine being tilted almost sideways at times. I did not want to go back up that way with only our machine and nobody else, so I took the long way back that had a swamp crossing that I thought would be "easier". It wasn't, turns out my winch works. And a few 30point turns in the swamp area amongst tight trees(use to meander right through on the quad lol) made me really question the idea of making the unit even longer with that tire rack.
    Paul65, Tsckey and Jraoffroad like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    Sounds like you got a real welcome there! That’s the way to get started.
    Dan likes this.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1166 times
    Sounds like a lot of solo riding and so without a spare I would of course encourage the verification of cell coverage where you go, a satellite phone, ham/GMRS radio with the required range or a SPOT so you can send a notice to someone. Multiple the necessity factor if you have along wife and children... and if black flies and mosquitoes are bad that time of year lol.
    Budro2, Dan and Paul65 like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam, Midland MXT275

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    I don't carry a spare, never had a flat while riding. Had a few after sitting overnite ( valve stem damage). Plugs, compressor, fix-a-flat spray can. Used to run slime in the older mud-lites non-radial 2ply sidewalls. Including dirt bikes. I've never done it but if I were on a cross county trip I would carry a spare if there was room.
    Budro2, Dan and Paul65 like this.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    I mulled that over with our SOB machine and riding we do.... finally decided not to carry a spare as I really didn't want one. I carry everything I can think of to fix any tire problem out desert riding tho....air jack, power tank, plug kit, sidewall slugs, JB Weld, and beer.
    Budro2, Dan, jimclemjr and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links