Larger wheels and tires - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Larger wheels and tires

This is a discussion on Larger wheels and tires within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; Originally Posted by hunter1022 In South Central Pennsylvania, Yes OEM Yamaha folding windshield, Rear Yamaha Clear Vinyl window, seizmik side mirrors, Warn 3500 Winch, Yamaha ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Larger wheels and tires

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1022 View Post
    In South Central Pennsylvania, Yes OEM Yamaha folding windshield, Rear Yamaha Clear Vinyl window, seizmik side mirrors, Warn 3500 Winch, Yamaha Cargo box, GPS and Trail Tracker. Have spare tire and wheel ordered and currently welding up rear spare tire carrier. Also installed 26 inch Boss Blue Tooth Sound Bar makes long rides a little more enjoyable. Will get busy on my signature box, to many forums lol
    Too many forums? Don’t you know that this is the only forum that matters? LOL
    ST3675, Paul65 and wolvymanx4 like this.
    2016 R-Spec EPS, Folding Windshield, Rear Window, Cargo Box, YXZ Steering Wheel
    Warn-3000
    Sedona-Storm 14", Rip-Saw Tires 27x9-14 and 27x11-14
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    EMP-Front/Rear Bumpers, CV Guards
    Super ATV-2" Lift Kit
    19" LED Bar

2019 R-Spec X2, Folding Windshield, Cargo Box
    Warn-3500, 72” plow
    Interco Sniper 920's-28x10-14 on SB-3 Wheels
    Assault & Seizmik-Mirrors
    JBS-Firewall Shields
    Weller-ReFlash
    HMF-Titan Quiet Exhaust & Rear Bumper
    NGK-Iridium Plugs
    24” LED Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    I’ve been thinking about 28’s on a stock Wolverine X2 lately. However as I do some research, It seems theirs not too much to choose from that fit the stock 12” wheels are there?
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    Kolpin plow
    Kolpin winch
    Yamaha A-arm guards

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    https://www.sunf.com/collections/bun...=8706208399466

I've been thinking of running these, I run 28in ITP Mud Tires when I go in the mud.
    if not there are several good options in the 27in that fit the 12in rim
    2019 Wolverine X2

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    896 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ST3675 View Post
    I’ve been thinking about 28’s on a stock Wolverine X2 lately. However as I do some research, It seems theirs not too much to choose from that fit the stock 12” wheels are there?
    Checkout the Tire section for many discussioins. However, BEARCLAW HTR's will get the job done ,look good and get through anything possible. Great wear as well in a Radial Tire!!
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Southern, Ont. Canada

>6000 km and going June 22nd, 2020
    [/B]
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires (threads look excellent w/5000km on them now)
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar
    Backup Lights & interior overhead added

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I opted for the 14 inch wheels and tire to also give me a little bit more ground clearance I gained almost 2 inches with the 28X1014’s when I started looking at the 12’s I did not find anything I liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST3675 View Post
    wolvymanx4 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    I haven't found 28x12 (as in 12" rim) tires that I like so I'm on 27" tires. Yes, your options for 28" tires and larger are very limited with 12" rims.
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Dan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65 View Post
    I used the OEM 26" tires for the first 1500 miles. The rear measured 23.5" tall on the machine when I took it off. The next set were 27's and measured a true 27". I noticed a huge performance hit so I did the clutch. What I lost was the snappiness, the ability to pivot and spin it around 90-180 degrees. It didn't seem to take off as well. Most I've spoken with that change to larger tires right away said they never noticed that performance hit. They simply didn't have that much time on the smaller tires.

You didn't say how long you've had it, but I see you just joined and this is your first post. I suggest you use low range for everything under 20mph and you may be fine with it as it is. I think its fair to say you don't "need" to do the clutch.
    Interesting that there was such a performance hit on going to 27's. Did you notice a large improvement in functionality from going to the 27's, or mostly just appeased personal preference?
    2020 Wolverine X4
    -4500lbs SuperATV Winch
    -Disconnected front Swaybar

Past: 2012 Grizzly 700 EPS

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    Much better ground clearance. Rear 23.5" tires to 27" tires was a true 1.75" increase in ground clearance. I measured it, I'm not kidding. There is no way I would go back to the OEM tires, they never measured 26" when new.

Much better looks. OEM tires always looked too small. Not just to me - many comments from other people.

Friday I rode with a 2020 X2 XTR with 27" Dirt Commanders and they measured 26" tall. That must be an OEM thing. The 27" Dirt Commanders I tried first were take offs from a buddy's RZR. They measured 27".
    2019 X2 R-Spec new 8/9/2019
    OEM winch, windshield, soft cab, rock sliders, rear flares. Custom front bumper, Richochet A-Arm guards, Front & Rear LED pod lights. Paul65’s thread, Backup Camera, Tablet for GPS Navigation, Parking Brake. Seizmik Vents & mirrors, SuperATV half windshield and full rear, NOAM NUTV-5S sound system, Sway bars deleted. 27” Kenda Bear Claw HTR’s, Hunterworks w/ 20-g, 2" cage chop, LED tape lights under the custom roof. Weller tie rods. Perfex 2" lift.

Mountaineer
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    371 times
    IMO, do you need larger tires? No unless your getting stuck. Will you see a performance hit? Not really going one size bigger but clutching and tuning never hurts. What are you wanting to do with your ride? A little more trail performance, can't go wrong with original big horn. Are you a muddier? Then go big and get a clutch and tune mod. Duckman has done a fantastic job with his machine if your into mud. For general trail riding, 27 or 28 will do you good. You can get by with either size without clutching but it doesn't hurt to mod your clutch. Personally I think the best mod you can do is the Eibach springs and then the rest.
    Dan likes this.
    2018 X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba tune
    Bunch of other stuff

Dan
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I'm definitely not a mudder, I can get by with stocks for anything I do. I'm almost at 20hrs and the big thing I'm noticing with these stocks is how ripped up they're getting. I live in the Rockies so it's definitely not soft terrain, but I think the weight of these machines just chews the cheap stock tires, where as the quad you could run stocks for a few seasons.

I will be getting aftermarkets for sure, either 26" or 27" Bighorns2 or Bearclaws. If anybody can help me decide which of those four options is best it will be much appreciated. I like the idea of 26" for staying light but when actually compare, it looks like you're only saving about 0.6lbs/rear tire. So going 26" saves you under 4lbs... thinking I mays well go 27".
    2020 Wolverine X4
    -4500lbs SuperATV Winch
    -Disconnected front Swaybar

Past: 2012 Grizzly 700 EPS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links