Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

New tires

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JustLite406 
#1 ·
hi, I'm new to the farm I have a question I just purchased a 2020 Yamaha wolverine X4 and I had to stock 26in tires with 12in rims and I just upgraded them to 27 inch tires with 14 inch rims I got the tusk beadlock rims with ripsaw tires. I noticed the weight on the stock tire in the front is like 29 pounds but the new tire with the bead lock rim is 42 LB do I need to upgrade my clutch or will I be okay?

#6 ·
Agreed. I have 27" RipSaws on my Gen 1. They have incredible climbing ability and traction.

Reactions: blast and Planetcat
#4 ·
Ok, you had me thinking, so I did a quick and dirty comparison of Stock vs. Aftermarket.
Given this pic from the forum I compared the Stock numbers to the Aftermarkets 'Best' numbers.

In the summary of gains/losses, I wanted to see what the stock sheave numbers looked like vs the best the current aftermarket showed.
I think a new stock sheave, weights & sliders is around $209 vs comp $365 avg. So for a extra $156 +/-, I wanted to see if going aftermarket was even worth considering.

The red square signifies the area my machine lives in, YMMV.
The purple circle is what I think is a significant gain.
If I was going to decide which aftermarket sheave I wanted, then I would do a separate break down of each. Again this was stock vs aftermarkets best numbers.

I would say that a ECU Flash would be something you should consider and look into and would be another good comparison.

For now here are the pics. I'm in a bit of a rush, so it's the down & dirty version.
I also added Massives pic with exhaust numbers.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
The rear width is approximately 3" narrower IIRC, so some add 1-1/2" wheel spacers.
Many do it for various reasons, ie, looks, same track width, etc.
In a nut shell.........
Benefits with & without?
Without: tighter turning radius
With: wider stance

Possible Cons?
Without: slightly smaller tilt table number
With: more stress on bearings ?

These things that I mention are very minor and honestly, wasn't even worth it for me to consider. YMMV

Now if you want to do more research and get technical, here is a good article to start with.
https://shocktherapyst.com/wheel-offset-and-suspension-performance/

Probably best to start another thread on it though. .02

Reactions: blast and Paul65
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.