i need some help please!
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

i need some help please!

This is a discussion on i need some help please! within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; Will Bear claw htr work with my x4 or they better suited for the lighter x2?And if so what would be the right psi for ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: i need some help please!

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

i need some help please!

Will Bear claw htr work with my x4 or they better suited for the lighter x2?And if so what would be the right psi for them(x4)

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    According to replies in the HTR thread, they fit.
    My only concern is Max Load capacity.
    I assume you are using OEM 12" wheels. If you average the tires in that size max load, it averages around 1820.
    Wet weight of a X4 is 1663. 1820-1663= 156 lbs.
    That is insufficient with me and couldn't recommend them based on that.
    Will they fit, yes. Will they be fine for everyday general use, I would think so.
    Would I try them, no.
    The final decision is up to you.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Kenda Bear Claw HTR Radial Tire 28x11-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATV’s Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Yes going to stick with stock wheels!
    4-5 months are snow covered trails so i was looking for a tire that can also handle groomed snow trails a little better then most.
    The Bear Claws get great reviews but i think their mostly on x2's at 8ply wonder why there load rating is lower?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    The only rating they put on the sidewall is for atv's. The max pressure for atv's according to the govt is 7 psi so they rate the load carrying ability at 7 psi.
    They are fine for your X4 at any rated psi that Yamaha calls for according to the hundreds of posts I have seen from people using the HTR's.
    My personal experience is 8 psi at 1600 pounds but I have beadlocks so you would need to take that into consideration, but that is where they work best for me.
    My average speed is 6-8 mph on typical eastern hilly trails.
    axemurder911 and Jraoffroad like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    946 times
    I found this thread interesting but felt I did not have any contribution so decided to visit the Kenda website and reviewed their info. I have no experience with Kenda tires and no prejudice. I believe the comments offered about psi rating for ATV, but have seen the tires from other manufacturers with two different ratings on the same apparent labeled tires, a 7 psi tire and an 18 psi tire. And that company changed their tires to avoid any confusion of application. The Kenda published catalog on their site says "MAX PSI" where it provides the "7" for the tire in question. I personally would not purchase this tire for any UTV application until I saw the side of the tire did not say '7psi max' embossed in it but something which fits what psi it is for. (I have seen "7 psi max" on other tires.) Or I took the time to contact Kenda and get them to send me something in writing that these tires were proper application as their catalog indicates and you can run manufacturer's recommended pressures that achieve the load ratings. They could have said "LOAD RATING @ PSI" for that column and given a max psi rating for the tire but that is not what the catalog says. It irritates me that a company that is happy to take your money and wants to provide such critical items that affects peoples HSW, can not get the simplest of information correct to inform consumers. Some Bubba at a dealer looks this up and will give you a hard time when trying to adjust a tire problem when he has a revelation you had too much pressure in the tire, ugh!
    axemurder911 and Paul65 like this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harn, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Ya thats my dilemma! So many people run them with great reviews but with two little kids and sometimes being 1hr from cottage in middle of winter im just a little shy about pulling trigger on them!I wish Kenda would just make bear claw htr utv tires so nothing in too question.Any recommendations thats great all around tire and and is better then most in snow?
    Thanx for your replies!!!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Most of the tires that do great in snow are average or below in other conditions.
    Snow tires are designed 'not' to dig so you don't bury your UTV.

I don't know how much snow you are talking about.
    Maxxis makes a snow tire, but it's only offered in 25"-12 and 27"-14 rims.
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-446-110-snow-beast

Edit: adding Amazon link for price comparison.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Maxxis+Sn...ref=nb_sb_noss

Quote Originally Posted by axemurder911 View Post
    Ya thats my dilemma! So many people run them with great reviews but with two little kids and sometimes being 1hr from cottage in middle of winter im just a little shy about pulling trigger on them!I wish Kenda would just make bear claw htr utv tires so nothing in too question.Any recommendations thats great all around tire and and is better then most in snow?
    Thanx for your replies!!!
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    Throttle-MAXX pedal

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    Well I have driven both Bighorn (standard full lug tires in snow) and perform quite well as well as Bearclaw HTR now and not sure if one is better than the other. Both have a big rubber lugged pattern as well as the same lug depth as far as I can tell anyway. Note neither is build with Winter rubber, which would be totally different formula (softer etc) Looking at the Maxxis in the link I would not use them. I plow in the winter on an ATV and the thread lug space is far too wide (too much open area). Our rubber does get hard and if you're on pavement they are going to spin easily. Doesn't matter which tires you're using. Hence the need for chains if more traction is needed and most likely the cheapest fix without buying different set of wheels.

Both these tires are used on a lot of ATV's in the winter as well. PLOWING SNOW Both Proven products in all environments.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    >4000 km and going April 2020
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplec View Post
    Well I have driven both Bighorn (standard full lug tires in snow) and perform quite well as well as Bearclaw HTR now and not sure if one is better than the other. Both have a big rubber lugged pattern as well as the same lug depth as far as I can tell anyway. Note neither is build with Winter rubber, which would be totally different formula (softer etc) Looking at the Maxxis in the link I would not use them. I plow in the winter on an ATV and the thread lug space is far too wide (too much open area). Our rubber does get hard and if you're on pavement they are going to spin easily. Doesn't matter which tires you're using. Hence the need for chains if more traction is needed and most likely the cheapest fix without buying different set of wheels.

Both these tires are used on a lot of ATV's in the winter as well. PLOWING SNOW Both Proven products in all environments.
    There ya go, give one of them a try. ^^^

I use to look for 'balloon' tires with horizontal lugs to run on my mud trucks during the winter. I've driven miles on snow 4-5 foot deep, but once they would dig in, I was done.....lol
    axemurder911 likes this.
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    Throttle-MAXX pedal

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    I am not sure what you mean. I can tell you if you in deep snow and the wheels are spinning and its deep. You'll get hung up on the under chassis. I had done this with SUV's as well. The vehicle has to be moving if not it maybe best to stop, reverse and then give it a go again. It all depends. Just be sure to carry a long strap, rope to reach a winch point. No fun watching all 4 wheels rotating while you determining what to do. I have tried digging out the snow but they won't be enough traction and its a waste of time. One second of trying and you're hung yet again.
    axemurder911 likes this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    >4000 km and going April 2020
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links