i need some help please! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

i need some help please!

This is a discussion on i need some help please! within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; 35 PSI, oh my, I never seen a tire manufacturer having their tires run a max design pressure. The reviewer also said they're a very ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: i need some help please!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    35 PSI, oh my, I never seen a tire manufacturer having their tires run a max design pressure. The reviewer also said they're a very soft sidewall. Not what I'd like, sound tool thin then. Any it ride like a covered wagon if anyone rides with them that hard. I know my sidewalls are quite stiff fighting to get them on by hand when I was mounting them on my bead lock rims. Whereas the 2.0's flexed like an inner tube in comparison.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    >4000 km and going April 2020
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    I dont spent a lot of time riding on snow but for you guys that do, do you find that the more open tread pattern does better on OHVs?

The consensus on autos as been a tread that holds snow affords more traction than a open tread.
    Especially one with lots of "edges" in the tread.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/w...or-driving-in/
    2016 708 R Spec
    Hunterworks sheave 18gr rollers .75 shim, factory spring
    Replaced decompression spring, dip stick, repaired header pipe at 1500 miles, new one at 5500 miles,
    top end rebuild at 3500 (new rings and valve seals) for excess oil consumption, tie rod ends at 5000.

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noload View Post
    I dont spent a lot of time riding on snow but for you guys that do, do you find that the more open tread pattern does better on OHVs?

The consensus on autos as been a tread that holds snow affords more traction than a open tread.
    Especially one with lots of "edges" in the tread.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/w...or-driving-in/
    My OEM Big Horns had way better snow traction than my Terrabites, at least on the trail and plowing.

Deep thoughts by MassiveOverkill

This truck/SUV snow test isn't comparable to the conditions that our OHV's encounter. The test was done on a track where the snow had been packed down, similar to what you'd see on a highway.

"... 1/2-mile section of Track 3, which is often used for testing winter tires because it emulates typical freshly plowed country roads."

This is pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing that the weight of a truck/SUV puts enough pressure on the tire so that the snow packed in the tire tread causes it to bond with the hard packed snow beneath it, giving you traction.

When I see existing tracks on a trail, usually the previous vehicle's tread pattern is created in the snow helping you out as well. When going on virgin trails during the winter, nothing is packed down and you don't get the benefit of my theory above with road vehicles traveling on hard-packed/plowed roads. You're tires are essentially packing the snow real time and your open treads are building these miniature sand castles and creating mechanical traction vs instantaneous melting/freezing road tires are doing on packed snow/ice.
    axemurder911, noload and Budro2 like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4, 124th unit built at Georgia
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 9000 miles and 600 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 20 gram HV weights
    Dynojet Power Vision 3
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives and all synthetic fluids
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    "My OEM Big Horns had way better snow traction than my Terrabites, at least on the trail and plowing."

Did you notice if the Terrabites had better traction on the snowpacked roads?
    axemurder911 likes this.
    2016 708 R Spec
    Hunterworks sheave 18gr rollers .75 shim, factory spring
    Replaced decompression spring, dip stick, repaired header pipe at 1500 miles, new one at 5500 miles,
    top end rebuild at 3500 (new rings and valve seals) for excess oil consumption, tie rod ends at 5000.

Super Moderator MassiveOverkill's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noload View Post
    "My OEM Big Horns had way better snow traction than my Terrabites, at least on the trail and plowing."

Did you notice if the Terrabites had better traction on the snowpacked roads?
    It's been about 5-6K miles since I had my Big Horns but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Big Horns were a little bit more squirrely on paved roads

I feel safe doing 30 MPH with my severely-worn-down Terrabites in similar conditions and I don't recall making as many small corrections as in the video above.
    axemurder911, noload and Budro2 like this.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4, 124th unit built at Georgia
    First Wolverine X4 to break the 60 MPH barrier
    Over 9000 miles and 600 hours
    Hunterworks prototype sheave with easy cleanout port, 20 gram HV weights
    Dynojet Power Vision 3
    HMF Titan Series Quiet slip-on Exhaust
    Walker Evans shocks
    Swiss-cheesed airbox lid
    NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
    Tinkseal additives and all synthetic fluids
    STI HD beadlocks wearing Tusk Terrabite 27x9x12 tires
    OEM windshield, soft cab, and roof
    OEM skid plates
    OEM rock sliders
    OEM A-arm guards
    OEM cargo box
    Check out the Yamaha X2/X4 FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WolverineX2X4/

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    469 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
    My OEM Big Horns had way better snow traction than my Terrabites, at least on the trail and plowing.

Deep thoughts by MassiveOverkill

This truck/SUV snow test isn't comparable to the conditions that our OHV's encounter. The test was done on a track where the snow had been packed down, similar to what you'd see on a highway.

"... 1/2-mile section of Track 3, which is often used for testing winter tires because it emulates typical freshly plowed country roads."

This is pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing that the weight of a truck/SUV puts enough pressure on the tire so that the snow packed in the tire tread causes it to bond with the hard packed snow beneath it, giving you traction.

When I see existing tracks on a trail, usually the previous vehicle's tread pattern is created in the snow helping you out as well. When going on virgin trails during the winter, nothing is packed down and you don't get the benefit of my theory above with road vehicles traveling on hard-packed/plowed roads. You're tires are essentially packing the snow real time and your open treads are building these miniature sand castles and creating mechanical traction vs instantaneous melting/freezing road tires are doing on packed snow/ice.
    So what tire are you going with since your terrabites are worn out?
    2019 Wolverine X2 Camo R-Spec
    1st Wolverine X2 ECU Tuned by Dynojet with PV3 and HMF QS
    HW w/20's with blow out port
    MSA M25 Wheels w/ EFX 8ply 27x10x14 Motoclaw with SATV 1.5" Rear Wheel Spacer
    SATV Flip Windshield & Half
    SATV 72" Plow
    Pro Vantage 3500 Warn
    Rear Cargo Box
    Adventure Pro Magellan
    50" XPRITE LED light bar
    Noam NUTV5-S
    WeBoost 4G-X OTR
    Shoulder bolster deleted
    EMP side mirrors
    28K BTU in Cab Heater
    SxS Enclosures full Cab
    NGK Iridium Plugs
    Amsoil Synthetics

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    HTR's ...LOL

Just kidding, I have no idea what he'll do. A lot of people out west going into the high hills mountain areas do run the true BigHorn tire proven in back country terrain. They have small side lugs which are helpful in rocky areas where some tire bite at the lower side edge are also giving traction. There are a lot of choices and many of the proven on big bore ATV's Grizzly & Kingquad's alike. A number of these tires were also for UTV application as well.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    >4000 km and going April 2020
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Moon Shiner
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    Noooooo
    Truck inspired/truck like tires are horrible in anything but hard pack & intermediate
    Not entirely true. The Maxxis carnivores do pretty well in mud and snow. I was very surprised how well they do in snow, probably better than my kenda HTRs do. With that said, they are a pretty soft compound and highly doubt that they will wear as well as the terrabites. I haven't had mine long enough to comment on their longevity but so far everything else has me really impressed.
    axemurder911 likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    907 times
    I can say for sure that my Evos that are very open do a good job of grinding through snow. In non settled or non crusty snow they will continue on when I’m dragging bottom. I’d liken this a little to a sand paddle in sand although most snow isn’t as heavy as sand so not quite apples to apples unless the snow is the real wet type. With open tread my opinion is your looking for the tire to dig and find the bottom so you can hook up. A tire like a good vehicle all terrain for highways etc won’t dig down and grab that rock or root but rather polish what’s under it to ice and then just free spin. The other school of thought for me is if the primary travel was a groomed trail that has a packed base then open treads dig and struggle or put you on the skid plate when snow tires that are more of the balloon type will just roll along on top. Also my evos are very squirrelly on hard slippery surfaces in comparison to tires with a tighter tread pattern that have more of a contact patch and softer rubber design.
    The snow tire review based on better traction with a tire that holds snow in, makes sense to me in that snow in its natural form is a grainy abrasive substance. The primary reason there is a crease in a horseshoe is that it fills with dirt and dirt to dirt is traction.
    I think snow to snow would also be added traction, so long as it’s a solid base where good contact patch can be established!

I break trail where I drive in the winter mostly in fresh or undisturbed snow that has no base so I need an open digging tire that grabs a hold of anything and everything!
    Last edited by Budro2; 02-08-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, 1mm shim, modified CVT cover
    Razorback belt temperature gauge, Blowhole CVT fan
    HW exhaust tip w/ stock arrester mod, PCV, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels,
    Eibach springs
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Carnavores are not truck tires or no where near the type of pattern I'm talking about. I don't know where you got that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin5881 View Post
    Not entirely true. The Maxxis carnivores do pretty well in mud and snow. I was very surprised how well they do in snow, probably better than my kenda HTRs do. With that said, they are a pretty soft compound and highly doubt that they will wear as well as the terrabites. I haven't had mine long enough to comment on their longevity but so far everything else has me really impressed.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Kenda Bear Claw HTR Radial Tire 28x11-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATV’s Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal