i need some help please! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

i need some help please!

This is a discussion on i need some help please! within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; Originally Posted by axemurder911 Will Bear claw htr work with my x4 or they better suited for the lighter x2?And if so what would be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: i need some help please!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by axemurder911 View Post
    Will Bear claw htr work with my x4 or they better suited for the lighter x2?And if so what would be the right psi for them(x4)
    I run them on my SxS and love them. I am running 9-10 PSI in the summer and a bit less now in the winter. Even so they're not squatting in there side walls. I would not be concerned about the rating. The flat profile on the Front and Rear unlike many give you a broad contact foot print which is what I want. Not a very rounded curve where you touch the middle two inches like the Bighorn 2.0 on the front same size. Note the 27" is equiv to a 28" in my opinion. Much higher that the bighorn 2.0 of the same size. Add a few more PSI to the rear for the X4 EG 12 PSI and you'd be golden.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    >4000 km and going April 2020
    BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Moon Shiner
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    I'm a huge fan of these tires and run them on my wildcat sport. I too was concerned with the low load rating so I contacted them. They advised me to not run them and directed me towards the mastedon. I eventually went with carnivores which have a similar load rating. Maxxis advised me to run a higher air pressure to up the load rating. I know there are some members that are running the HTR with no issues but I just didn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    SKELLEY521 and axemurder911 like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    FWIW- Not much experience on snow except one 10" snowfall about three years ago in my Rhino and driving on the streets. Had ITP Mudlite XTRs, 27x 9 & 11s. It ran great in deep stuff and pulling pan surfers lol. Did not get off road in real deep stuff.
    axemurder911 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Black , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS rad guards, Autometer Temp Gauge, Alba Racing Reflash, SATV A-arms & DIY stick guards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/man switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, YXZ wheel studs, 28" 9 & 11 BH 2.0, 4000# Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harn, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanx guys for your feedback!The trails are groomed in the winter up at the cottage here in Quebec ,
    so it wouldn't get to deep before the groomer went bye.I want 27"s so i should get tires with a pattern with less space in between the lugs(more rubber)
    Maybe like a terraabite or tread pattern like that?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Noooooo
    Truck inspired/truck like tires are horrible in anything but hard pack & intermediate
    axemurder911 and Doc T like this.
    2019 WOLVERINE X2 R-SPEC SE / Tactical Black
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Kenda Bear Claw HTR Radial Tire 28x11-14
    Warn AXON 45RC Winch w/ Synthetic Spydura Rope
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Polycarbonate Front Windshield
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    SuperATVís Half Windshield
    Rogue Powersports Powerscreen mesh windshield
    Side X Side Enclosures Full Soft Cab
    Seizmik Halo-R Rearview Mirror & Pursuit Side View Mirrors
    Throttle-MAXX pedal
    Weller Racing ECU Flash, Stock Exhaust

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    I'd say to play it safe and look at the Maxxis BigHorns or the less expensive SUNF Power I tires if you don't want a dedicated snow tire.
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...bighorn-radial
    https://www.sunf.com/collections/utv...nt=44857068557

Edit: SUNF seem to have a higher load rating btw.
    Last edited by SKELLEY521; 02-07-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    axemurder911 and Paul65 like this.
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    Throttle-MAXX pedal

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    OMG he's not getting it (I believe the cows on the farm go it. LOL) If it most flat trails a flat profile tire similar to HTR if look at something else. Bighorms are good but the front are way to rounded for me and would drop into rutts easily. It may depend on the size as well but the Bighorn 2.0 NO!!! Look at the regular Bighorns, there were good as well and should not cost a bomb, they're heavier thicker ply tire. The 2.0 are pretty thin like dunlop balloons.
    SKELLEY521 and axemurder911 like this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    I'v ran square profile tires on ATV's.
    Just some observation/experiences that I've had...
    Not my preference as they my look cool, they wonder and get worse as speeds increase.
    All tires seem to 'flat spot' after sitting for awhile. Square tires take a lot longer to get that spot out also as compared to round.
    Square tires also seem to pull the machine a lot more when they do drop in ruts or offroad and are harder to get them to pop up

The latter I recently experienced, as I had a oncoming vehicle hog the road and forced me off at 30ish mph.
    My passenger rear tire dropped off the side of the road. It quickly popped back up, there is no doubt in my mind that had I been running a square tire, it would've been at least more of a fight or worse, whipped me off the road and down over a steep hill.
    I ride on all types of terrain as I live in town and drive on everything imaginable to get to the trails. Blacktop; gravel roads; dirt roads, rock/mud trails to mud pits & creek beds.
    I just prefer a rounder profile, especially on the front as it also has a lighter responsive input & feedback.
    Your preferences may very, these are just mine.
    Paul65 likes this.
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Rock Sliders
    Throttle-MAXX pedal

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELLEY521 View Post
    I'v ran square profile tires on ATV's.
    Just some observation/experiences that I've had...
    Not my preference as they my look cool, they wonder and get worse as speeds increase.
    All tires seem to 'flat spot' after sitting for awhile. Square tires take a lot longer to get that spot out also as compared to round.
    Square tires also seem to pull the machine a lot more when they do drop in ruts or offroad and are harder to get them to pop up

The latter I recently experienced, as I had a oncoming vehicle hog the road and forced me off at 30ish mph.
    My passenger rear tire dropped off the side of the road. It quickly popped back up, there is no doubt in my mind that had I been running a square tire, it would've been at least more of a fight or worse, whipped me off the road and down over a steep hill.
    I ride on all types of terrain as I live in town and drive on everything imaginable to get to the trails. Blacktop; gravel roads; dirt roads, rock/mud trails to mud pits & creek beds.
    I just prefer a rounder profile, especially on the front as it also has a lighter responsive input & feedback.
    Your preferences may very, these are just mine.
    No doubt experiences will be different. My short by farms access from my place get ruts and I found after putting HTR's on I could climb out without much effort as well as on the gravel trail than the Bighorn 2.0 (not recommended). No trouble when I had the original Bighorns on my ATV though. As this is my first winter with the HTR I find it does slide laterally. HOWEVER, the base under the snow if there is frozen slush, wet snow or ice so that why IMO its not biting as much as I expected. The lug pattern in the snow is excellent however with enough space and depth to keep clean. Dry and dirt and gravel trails (as I have on mostly rail bed) they do perform well without pulling. I can drive as fast as I dare!! Which is not WOT by a long shot. The regular Bighorns do have some rounding of the carcass of the front and weren't excessive. I like the flat profile which (for me) gives bigger contact point on what I drive on. Noisier on pavement, lug generated but acceptable.

I'd stay away from any Light Versions of any tire. Lugs and carcass plies are reduced to reduce weight. I personally don't care about any loss of speed etc since I don't drive to fly on the SxS nor WOT on pavement and I can hit 80km/hr with WOT which is fast enough to keep cars from catching up to me on the secondary roads should I want. I don't want a tire more venerable to punctures either and have to repair when out on a ride.

@SKELLEY I'll keep the iinfo in mind when I am drving on trail which doesn't have a sub layer of some type of ice or frozen slushy snow type ice. As may we like the looks and its primarily for non winter driving anyway.
    SKELLEY521 and Paul65 like this.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    I agree.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like really round tires because I air down until the entire contact patch is flat with a smooth surface, i.e. blacktop/concrete to get the most available traction.
    Really round profiles will end up with very low psi to achieve this and then you run into more problems entirely...lol
    Video for a example.

Everyone I know hated the Bighorn 2.0's so I never gave them a look.
    It's hard to help someone with tires as everyones driving style/conditions are different. However we users do have our experiences that we can relate to help them decide if it fits their situation.
    A good quality tire is never a bad choice.
    Cheers
    Tripplec likes this.
    ITP STEEL WHEEL 14x7
    Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
    Yamaha Rock Sliders