Steering Wheel Adjustment
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Steering Wheel Adjustment within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; My 2018 X4 steering wheel is not centered when I'm going straight. It's not off a lot but enough that it's annoying me. The unit ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By MORSNO
  • 1 Post By kdt1970
  • 2 Post By MORSNO
  • 1 Post By jimclemjr
  • 3 Post By mhjohns

Thread: Steering Wheel Adjustment

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

My 2018 X4 steering wheel is not centered when I'm going straight. It's not off a lot but enough that it's annoying me. The unit is brand new and has less than 25 miles on it so this was a factory/setup issue, not related to damage or other adjustments. The service manual says pull the steering wheel and re-center it.

For those of you that have pulled the steering wheel off:
    Is that shaft smooth of have splines?
    If there are splines how much does moving over one adjust?
    Is there another spot to make the correction other than pulling the steering wheel?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1471 times
    The Gen 1 Wolverines have splines for sure as many of us swapped out our factory plastic steering wheels for the YXZ rubber ones, I'd bet the X2/X4's are the same. You can fine tune it on those splines, but I think you need to check your alignment first to make sure something else isn't crooked.
    wolvymanx4 and blast like this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Its has splines, you will need a J hook puller.
    Name:  15613028103196513489202364991847_1561302830417.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  1.22 MB
    Name:  21NSIy+OI-L_1561304782946._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  5.8 KB
    Last edited by kdt1970; 06-23-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    wolvymanx4 likes this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec SE
    2019 Wolverine X4

2017 Super Atv - Front Window
    2017 Kolpin - Rear Window
    2017 Kolpin - Side Mirrors
    2017 Ryco - Utah Street Legal Kit
    2017 Yamaha - LED taillights with Reverse
    2019 Yamaha Windshield
    2019 Emp Side Mirrors
    2019 SuperAtv Rear Window.
    2019 Yamaha Roof
    2019 Ryco Utah Street Legal Kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1471 times
    I used a ratchet strap from the wheel to the rear roll bars and a tap from a rubber mallet, easy peasy.
    Budro2 and blast like this.
    2016 Alpine White Wolverine R-Spec SE
    27" Tusk Terrabites, 2" Gorilla lift kit, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Grab Bar Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rear-view Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, Battery Tender Charger, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, Lux-Pro Dome Light, Throttle Maxx Pedal Extension, Yamaha Aluminum Front Skid Plate, TGM Off-Road/Konstruktor Doors W/White & Gray Decals

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    I would not spend the time and energy to do that until you turn it lock to lock and make sure it is in the center and the front toe-in/out alignment is correct.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I needed the steering wheel outside diameter to move 5/8" to get it centered. When I measured my toe I was in about .75" (which is in spec but about the max). I decided to adjusted the toe down to .35" (still within spec) by making the adjustments on just one side. Took it out for a drive and I was happily surprised the steering wheel was perfectly centered.
    atkbike, Budro2 and blast like this.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Wait! Don't pull the steering wheel yet. Make sure that your front end is aligned correctly first. I had a similar, annoying issue, but discovered that the cause was a misalignment not an improperly installed steering wheel. It's a lot easier to align the front end than to pull the wheel.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Super ATV winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    keep in mind that a static centered steering wheel may not be centered when rolling. Things such as tire wear, slope of road crown and the trueness of the rear wheel alignment and parallel to front wheels may reveal itself while rolling. you can also have your toe alignment not equal on each side of centerline. If you are really getting picky you may want to check the rear alignment and wheelbase dimension on each side. If a unit has ever been rolled or hit hard it could be out of true alignment and may take a little frame tweaking to adjust true.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mhjohns View Post
    My 2018 X4 steering wheel is not centered when I'm going straight. It's not off a lot but enough that it's annoying me. The unit is brand new and has less than 25 miles on it so this was a factory/setup issue, not related to damage or other adjustments. The service manual says pull the steering wheel and re-center it.

For those of you that have pulled the steering wheel off:
    Is that shaft smooth of have splines?
    If there are splines how much does moving over one adjust?
    Is there another spot to make the correction other than pulling the steering wheel?
    Mine has been off slightly since new for me too. I have after market wheels and tires. I’m taking it in for a 1500 mile service. I may have it checked too. I just figured mine was the only one. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links