Square tire set
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Square tire set

This is a discussion on Square tire set within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; I have the 2019 Wolverine X2. Looking to go to 27" and all the same size. Will be putting a 2 inch lift kit as ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Square tire set

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Square tire set

I have the 2019 Wolverine X2. Looking to go to 27" and all the same size. Will be putting a 2 inch lift kit as well still working on the list as its brand new and i am very new to this.
    >>Any size recommendations would be greatly appreciated. like 27 10 12 or what is the size should I use.
    >>Any cons to going all the same size? Really just looking to make the spare easy to just carry one tire.
    >>Any Pros to all the same size
    Would be very grateful for any guidance on this.

Thanks
    2019 Wolverine X2 R Spec SE
    Factory for the moment

Evil Kenevil
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Hiya, and congrats on your new X2. Something, something tire size over 28" needs clutch mods something something tires don't run true to size something something … That whole subject is a favorite on here. I recently picked up an X2 myself, and here is what I am doing.

1. I went with 27" Mudlite II. I went with the 27's to gain a little clearance. I've ran Blackwater Evolutions and I like them, but man are they heavy!
    2. Spare tire is easy. A front tire as a spare will fit all 4 corners.
    3. There are currently no 2" lifts available for the X2 as of last week. That will probably change. The only lifts I have found are the 3 1/2 " from Highlifter. You might be able to find a Highlifter kit as being available, I have not found one in stock, ready to ship. As of last week Highlifter is "A few days out" for having them in production. According to my phone call to them, no changes, they just ran out due to demand.
    wolvymanx4 likes this.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS
    Warn 3500 Provantage Winch with wireless remote

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    2" Perfex Lift
    Warn #3500 Pro Vantage Winch with wireless remote
    Yamaha Folding Windshield
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks so much, The black water evolution's were going to be my choice. SO they are to heavy? I was going to do the yamaha OEM clutch kit for the 27. Are the tires so heavy they slow it down a lot?
    Tracen8r likes this.
    Factory for the moment

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Evil Kenevil
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    I don't know about "too" heavy, but they are much heavier than others. The Evo's are great all around tires. 8 ply radials and armored sidewalls were why I chose them to begin with. Some places I ride have very sharp and jagged rocky areas. I've seen quite a few gashed sidewalls and wanted to avoid that particular experience. Some of the gashes were most likely caused by underinflated tires that allowed the tire to get pinched between the rim and a rock. I'll be putting the Evo's on the X2 and the Mudlight II's on the Gen1. I figure that the lighter tires on the lower hp machine might get it through the mudholes a bit better. I'm looking forward to finding out!!

Before you do any clutch stuff read all the threads on here till your brain feels like it will burst. Then consider what you are looking for. Mudder? Top end? Clutching can be very specific to what you mostly ride in. If you stick with 27's and don't go all "Ostacruiser" (Look him up on youtube..) I'd not mess with it. For doing real good in a wide variety of conditions the stock clutch works well. However if you have the itch you just can't scratch look at Hunterworks. The orders I have placed with Todd I have not been disappointed with.
    blast likes this.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    2" Perfex Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Paper Boy
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    NO NO nothing super over blown got to upgrade everything. Closer to stick the better for me. I just know that little bigger tire and a lift can make a huge difference for some trails.
    Just hard pack, wood trails some mid tire height mud but not sinking my rig. Most of the time will be me and the wife just getting out socializing and having a good time. Now i am not sacred of a little tough trial.
    LOL i looked him up , HELL NO lol not nothing like him. The dealer told me if i stayed at 27 I would not need the clutch kit but as I read more and more I feel like I am more confused lol.
    Windshield installed and Yamaha box installed
    Next items are the spare tire rack, front brush guard, and the hardest thing trying to decide is the dang light bar..
    Tracen8r likes this.
    Factory for the moment

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    I don't know of any down side to running the same width tire all around. Up side you don't have to carry two different size spares and you can rotate your tires. I never understood the reasoning behind wider tires in the rear on a UTV, I don't run wider rear tires on my FWD pickup. I have 27x9x12 Blackwater Evos on all four corners on my machine and they are pretty lite for that aggressive of tire. The 9" with is a little narrow but if I went with the 11" they are a little wide and heavier. The 27x9x12 are 26.5lbs. and the 27x11x12 are 30.5lbs. I'm switching to Maxxis Carnivores 28x10x14 and they are 30.5lbs. Anything with more plys is going to be more durable but your going to gain some weight.
    Tracen8r, Budro2, Greggo and 2 others like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    27x9x12 ITP Blackwater Evos
    ITP C series wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Evil Kenevil
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    If it even a little dusty where you ride, I'd suggest a rear curtain. It will reduce the in cab dust swirl immensely! And yep, lift kit is almost mandatory. First time I had a rock slam into the skidplate I thought it was gonna be a long walk out. Just made a small crease when I looked underneath. Sure sounded loud in the cab! Lol! I often feel like a frog bumping his ass every time he jumps...
    Greggo and LJ3 like this.
    2019 Camo R-Spec EPS

2016 Camo R-Spec EPS
    ITP Steel Rims
    Evolution Tires
    2" Perfex Lift
    Yamaha Rear Curtain
    Hunterworks H.O. Fan

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Tracen8r is correct on there being not a 2" lift for the X2. Super atv makes a 2" for the X4 but it's a shock spacer lift and the X4 has different shocks than the X2. I had to think about that one for a sec.. If you go with 27's or 28's you don't want to used the Yamaha X2 big tire kit though. The weights are too light and will make your rpm's rev super high. They are 16g weights. You should probably go with 20g weights for 27's or 18g for 28 inch tires. The X4 big tire kit are only 14g. Way too light. The stock weights are 22g. I run 18g for my X4 and its very close to the factory performance but with big tires. The Yamaha big tire kits are only really good for like 29-30" tires with big lift kits.
    Greggo and Budro2 like this.
    2018 X4 Special Edition
    STI HD7 Wheels In Radiant Red
    Gladiator ATR 28X10R14 Tires
    18g HV Weights
    UNI Two Stage Air Filter
    Suntop
    OEM Windshield
    OEM Rear Bumper With Reverse Lights Mod
    Seizmik Strike Mirrors With Red Inserts

Pit Stop
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I am running 27" sedonia rip saws on all 4 corners and have not noticed any negatives. My 5/2 offset gives me 64 inch wide in front.( I was hoping for 62). With the full enclosure and glass it is very stable. I don't carry a spare. Tire slime, aerosol tire flat foam and a compressor has always worked for me, used only for people I was riding with. My guess is that a narrow tire in front would help you cut corners in sand. I have the highlifter 3 1/2 lift also. Have Fun !
    Last edited by blast; Today at 06:13 AM.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, 4500 wireless winch,synthetic

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I don't know of any down side to running the same width tire all around. Up side you don't have to carry two different size spares and you can rotate your tires. I never understood the reasoning behind wider tires in the rear on a UTV, I don't run wider rear tires on my FWD pickup. I have 27x9x12 Blackwater Evos on all four corners on my machine and they are pretty lite for that aggressive of tire. The 9" with is a little narrow but if I went with the 11" they are a little wide and heavier. The 27x9x12 are 26.5lbs. and the 27x11x12 are 30.5lbs. I'm switching to Maxxis Carnivores 28x10x14 and they are 30.5lbs. Anything with more plys is going to be more durable but your going to gain some weight.
    I'm running Maxxis Carnivore 28x10's all around on a stock clutch. My riding is similar to OP, however I have been is some deep stuff that was well over the tires. I kept it in low range and never really felt under powered at all. That's not my normal type of riding. The 28's in high range are fine but I do notice a little lugging from a stand still. I'll be clutching later just to ease up on the starts in high.
    Greggo likes this.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE Matte/Orange
    OEM glass windshield
    OEM front/rear A arm guards
    OEM front bash plate
    OEM front brush guard
    4500lb Warn VRX
    EMP side mirrors
    28"x 10" x 14" Carnivores w/ MSA M39 wheels with 1-1/2" spacers in rear
    2” Super ATV lift
    HMF Titan slip on exhaust
    Weller ECU reflash