Square tire set - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Square tire set

This is a discussion on Square tire set within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; you can do it, and people do, but I personally would not run the same size tire on all 4 factory rims. This is because ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Square tire set

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    366 times
    you can do it, and people do, but I personally would not run the same size tire on all 4 factory rims. This is because you have to remember, the factory rims are not the same size, the rear are wider. If you try and fit the same size tire on 2 different sized (width) rims, you don't get the same riding height all the way around. Most tires have 2 widths, front/rear, just get the appropriate sizes. And like other have said, the spare will work for any size, as long as the offset of the rim is right.

That being said, I run the same tire on all 4 corners! However, that's because I got 4 identical aftermarket rims - this means same tire size on all the same rim sizes.

hope this helps.
    LJ3, Tracen8r, wolvymanx4 and 1 others like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post
    you can do it, and people do, but I personally would not run the same size tire on all 4 factory rims. This is because you have to remember, the factory rims are not the same size, the rear are wider. If you try and fit the same size tire on 2 different sized (width) rims, you don't get the same riding height all the way around. Most tires have 2 widths, front/rear, just get the appropriate sizes. And like other have said, the spare will work for any size, as long as the offset of the rim is right.

That being said, I run the same tire on all 4 corners! However, that's because I got 4 identical aftermarket rims - this means same tire size on all the same rim sizes.

hope this helps.
    Erik
    Sorry yes I am planning to buy new rims as well. Thanks for the feedback.
    erik and wolvymanx4 like this.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R Spec SE
    OEM Full Front Brush Guard
    OEM Full Poly-Carbonate Windshield
    Yamaha Cargo Box
    WARN Axon 35-S with Rocker & Cable Remote/ Factor 55 UltraHook
    Midland MXT 115 GMRS Radio

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by erik View Post

hope this helps.
    I would measure the height of your stock tires front and rear first. I am sure running the same size of aftermarket tire can't be any worse!
    Tracen8r likes this.
    Wolverine X2 R-Spec
    27" Blackwater Evolutions
    Weller Racing ECU Flash
    Hunterworks Machined Sheave
    JBS Spring Kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wolvymanx4 View Post
    Tracen8r is correct on there being not a 2" lift for the X2. Super atv makes a 2" for the X4 but it's a shock spacer lift and the X4 has different shocks than the X2. I had to think about that one for a sec.. If you go with 27's or 28's you don't want to used the Yamaha X2 big tire kit though. The weights are too light and will make your rpm's rev super high. They are 16g weights. You should probably go with 20g weights for 27's or 18g for 28 inch tires. The X4 big tire kit are only 14g. Way too light. The stock weights are 22g. I run 18g for my X4 and its very close to the factory performance but with big tires. The Yamaha big tire kits are only really good for like 29-30" tires with big lift kits.
    338 Sorry to sound stupid , I see you run a spacer in the rear. What is that for?

All
    I am stuck between the below

I would like to do the 28x10x14 but not sure how far past the fender mud flaps that will stick out. I Don`t want it slinging mud in the cab the whole time. I have read so many tire sizes" in the wheel and tire forum, now I am gun shy on making a purchase. My main concerns are below and any feed back I would be very grateful.

27 to 28 27 not doing any clutch work this year to may other things to buy for now
    12 to 14 inch rims - With a lift I hear 14 look better than 12 wish i seen some pictures
    same on all four corners would be great but see a lot of maybe 9 front to 11 rear.
    Roctane or Blackwater Evolutions don`t think this is a huge deal but SMH SMH
    Last edited by Greggo; 06-22-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Yamaha Cargo Box

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Greggo here's some pictures.Name:  20190622_184207.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  1.14 MBName:  20190622_191306.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  2.32 MBName:  20190622_191330.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  2.19 MBName:  20190622_191347.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  2.48 MB The tire on the right rear is a 27"x9"x12" ITP Blackwater Evos, the new ones are 28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores.
    Last edited by LJ3; 06-22-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    Jraoffroad, atkbike and UPNORTH like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    OEM Folding Windshield
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    LJ3
    Thanks and wow that is a huge difference in just that move in size.

What was the reason for the move up? in tire size and how has this worked out for you overall ride wise?
    Yamaha Cargo Box

LJ3
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
    LJ3
    Thanks and wow that is a huge difference in just that move in size.

What was the reason for the move up? in tire size and how has this worked out for you overall ride wise?
    I originally ordered the ITPs in 27" because the ITP web site said they measured 27.8" tall and only 26.5 lbs. They measure 27" exactlly at 10 psi. I was shooting for a 28" tire. The 9" width looked a little wimpy to, so I thought I would try the Carnivores at 28" x10" They actually measure 28.75" at 5 psi. so they are a little taller then I wanted. The Hunterworks sheave is a must with this size tire. JMHO
    Greggo and Budro2 like this.
    2016 Wolverine R spec SE
    Hunterworks sheave 16 gram weights green spring
    Dynojet Power Commander V
    AIS block off plate
    HMF Titan QS
    Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic rope
    OEM Folding Windshield
    EMP Rear window
    EMP Winch mount
    Yamaha cargo box
    28"x10"x14" Maxxis Carnivores
    MSA R-Forged F2 wheels
    YXZ SE seats
    Perfex 2" lift

Roosted
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I have reached a point where riding is more important than wrenching. I am busy enough just maintaining everything. For those who love to wrench and do mods to their machine, hats off to you. Tire selection is for us non competitive racers to be more competitive.
    Greggo, atkbike and Budro2 like this.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
    338 Sorry to sound stupid , I see you run a spacer in the rear. What is that for?

All
    I am stuck between the below

I would like to do the 28x10x14 but not sure how far past the fender mud flaps that will stick out. I Don`t want it slinging mud in the cab the whole time. I have read so many tire sizes" in the wheel and tire forum, now I am gun shy on making a purchase. My main concerns are below and any feed back I would be very grateful.

27 to 28 27 not doing any clutch work this year to may other things to buy for now
    12 to 14 inch rims - With a lift I hear 14 look better than 12 wish i seen some pictures
    same on all four corners would be great but see a lot of maybe 9 front to 11 rear.
    Roctane or Blackwater Evolutions don`t think this is a huge deal but SMH SMH
    The spacers in the rear are to make up for the different backspacing of the aftermarket wheels. Without them it would be too narrow IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Budro2 and wolvymanx4 like this.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE Matte/Orange
    OEM glass windshield
    OEM rear glass
    OEM front/rear A arm guards
    OEM front bash plate
    OEM front brush guard
    4500lb Warn VRX
    EMP side mirrors
    28"x 10" x 14" Carnivores w/ MSA M39 wheels with 1-1/2" spacers in rear
    2” Super ATV lift
    HMF Titan slip on exhaust
    Weller ECU reflash
    Hunterworks sheave w/18gr weights

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Greggo,

The spacer in the rear, in my opinion, is just a preference and just for looks. I run the same 27" x 10" x 14" tires at all four corners and don't use any spacers. It really depends on the tires you are running. Happy tire hunting!

Name:  20190622_151106.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  3.17 MBName:  20180609_120649.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  2.32 MB

2016 Blue R Spec
    Perfex 2" lift kit
    Custom switch panel
    Warn 3000 Vantage winch
    Blue LED rock lights
    20" dual LED roof light bar
    Over fenders