28" tires on stock wheels offset question
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on 28" tires on stock wheels offset question within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; I have spent weeks researching this topic and forum and its as clear as mud.... I have a 2016 wolverine rspec on stock rims and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 28" tires on stock wheels offset question

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I have spent weeks researching this topic and forum and its as clear as mud.... I have a 2016 wolverine rspec on stock rims and tires. I just purchased a perfex 2" lift and want to put 28x10" tires on all 4 corners. Now where I am stuck is it seems the stock front rims are 6" wide and would be too narrow for a 10 inch wide tire, correct ? Has anyone ever put a 28x10" tire on a stock front rim ?? And it seems like I cant get a straight answer on what the offset are for stock rims ?

So then when I look at just buying 4 new rims I looked at the ITP steel rims but the offset for the 12x7" is 4+3 and the offset for the same rim in 14x7" is 5+2 . So which one would work for 28x10" tires without rubbing ? I would like to keep the tires from sticking out too far so that would be the 5+2 offset, correct? Geez this stuff is confusing. Thanks for any help

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    I am running 4 28x10x14 itp black waters with the 2” perfex and I have 14x7 rims with a 5+2 offset. Very occasionally when the suspension compresses hard in a turn I get a slight rub on the front. I did 150 miles of hard riding last weekend and they rubbed maybe 4 times. Rears are fine. My rims are aluminum though not steel. I went with itp hurricanes. I think that rub is on the plastic stick protector plate or whatever that is in the wheel well against the floor. No damage at all though it’s not hitting by much if and when it happens. No clue on your stock wheels question
    Last edited by Atcdan13; 05-29-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Agree with Atcdan. 28s work with 2Ē lift. Slight rub at full compression and wheel turned all the way one direction. Iíd call it a brush. You donít hear or feel it. If you go to wheels and tires, then find wheel tire concerns thread, page 3, I did a picture tutorial of your concern.
    Yes more than one person on here has put 28x 10 on stock wheels and claim it works. I personally wouldnít do it. Front tires are taller, I think it looks funny, and Iíd be concerned about running in four wheel drive on hard ground as well as the beads leaking on the front.
    Iíd recommend going with the 5-2 offset if you want to stay on the narrower side. Youíll end up about 63-64 wide depending on the tire brand you put on.
    If you want to be the same width front and back youíll need a 1Ē spacer on the rear. Guys on here do it either way and it works with or without the spacer.
    Either 4-3 or 5-2 work many people running both, even 0 offset. I recommend going to the 14Ē wheel if your going to buy wheels, youíll just find you canít always get the offset you want in every wheel.
    Your not alone, we all went through the same delema LOL.
    GOOD LUCK!

P S, if you have a Hunterworks sheave take out the shim if itís in there!!!!
    erik and blast like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I am also considering something similar but I'm going with the ITP Hurricane 12X7 - 5+2 wheels and the 28x10R12 Evo's. I tend to agree that a 6" wide wheel is a bit too narrow for a 10" wide tire, not that it can't and hasn't been done.
    Last edited by Sireal; 05-29-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    @Atcdan13 Thanks for the input!

@Budro2 Thanks for the reply and summarizing it all. I just read all 11 pages of the nightmare with the belt hitting the cover with 28's and the shim. My machine is stock right now and I was planning on doing a HW sheave and clutch kit but now after reading all these horror stories its making me rethink everything. I guide hunts for a living in New Mexico. I use my Wolverine mostly on normal forest service roads in the mountains and in the desert in rocky areas when its too rocky to take my truck. So I am looking for more ground clearance (why I was thinking going with 28's) and a stronger bottom end. I have never even topped my machine out at top speed in two years and I don't ever see mud holes. Am I setting myself up to have more issues by going with 28's ?

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Out of curiosity bowhunter, what's your travel speed most of the time while guiding?
    2017 R-spec SE
    PCV & AIS block off plate
    27x9-12 / 27x11-12 Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on OEM beadlocks
    Perfex 2" lift

Couch Potato
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would say average is 12-16 miles per hour. A common area I go is two hours of rocky uphill road. Usually I can maintain 12 mph up it and 16mph coming down. The belt whine drives me crazy on flat open roads so alot of times I try to stay under 35mph just cause the high pitch of the belt is so annoying. I am going to be putting dynamat on the roof and around the console/under seats soon.

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    That's very similar to my speeds as well. I typically run in lo range up to about 20mph so I have the oomph when I need it, but it's borderline on the rpm for me. With 28's I should be right where I want to be in lo. I have no plans for a sheave replacement but I will do a slug kit for the wet clutch. It might be something to consider if your not already running lo.
    2017 R-spec SE
    PCV & AIS block off plate
    27x9-12 / 27x11-12 Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on OEM beadlocks
    Perfex 2" lift

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbowhunter View Post
    @Atcdan13 Thanks for the input!

@Budro2 Thanks for the reply and summarizing it all. I just read all 11 pages of the nightmare with the belt hitting the cover with 28's and the shim. My machine is stock right now and I was planning on doing a HW sheave and clutch kit but now after reading all these horror stories its making me rethink everything. I guide hunts for a living in New Mexico. I use my Wolverine mostly on normal forest service roads in the mountains and in the desert in rocky areas when its too rocky to take my truck. So I am looking for more ground clearance (why I was thinking going with 28's) and a stronger bottom end. I have never even topped my machine out at top speed in two years and I don't ever see mud holes. Am I setting myself up to have more issues by going with 28's ?
    Your answer is no, given your driving style. Donít let all that discussion scare you away from a Hunterworks sheave either. I highly recommend it! What happened is a bunch of us installed it, then later through on 28s and didnít realize the shim needed to come out!
    If you donít do deep mud deep snow or technical rock crawling at 0-6 mph for long periods of time then no worries at all. The Hunterworks sheave gives plenty of low end with out the shim and the way you drive you wonít be getting belt heat and you wonít be needing more low end. The sheave is only to help get the tires moving in those high load situations especially with bigger tires.
    After about 8 mph the sheave is cycling up and not a benefit any how.
    I personally would want the sheave with 28s just to get it moving in any situation and to help when your grinding up hill over those big rocks at 8MPH and under. I donít get belt heat in those driving conditions and I am still running the shim.
    All that said, and not trying to sway your opinion in any direction, you have to decide weather a lower ratio is most important or clearance. Itís different for everyone. Bear in mind the difference between a true 27 and true 28 is a 1/2Ē clearance. Iíve come to the conclusion that for my deep snow and technical rock crawling style of driving that there is no such thing as a low enough ratio.
    In the future Iíll likely be going to 27s which get me back a 4% lower ratio, in that case people who have 28s and canít use the shim can now put it in and thatís roughly another 3% so a 7% difference which I can tell you is extremely noticeable if your driving style needs it. That comes at the price of a 1/2Ē of clearance. Now with that in mind, there is a larger choice of tires to choose from in 27x12 than 28x12. You wouldnít need to spend money on wheels. Spend that same money on Eibach springs from Jbs and get the 1/2Ē plus clearance that way, or use a 3.5Ē lift which isnít truly 3.5Ē, then back off your preload a bit for a better ride and still have a true 2-2.5Ē lift and a better low ratio! I donít know about the Perfex but most lifts arenít truly what they say. My 2Ē lift didnít give me a full 2Ē. Just thoughts to consider, but 28s HW sheave no shim, no problem IMO.
    I personally wouldnít want to drive one with 28s and no aftermarket sheave, but plenty of happy people do even up to 29. Lots of ways to skin the cat! Whatever you decide, DO SLUG THE CLUTCH! It will make it last and youíll enjoy driving it a lot more, and itís cheap. No good reason not to do that!

Now regarding the CVT whine and sound proofing:
    I have the HW sheave and 28s I sound proofed as you described. Itís not perfect but worth the time. With my setup in low up to 18-19 mph the whine is not annoying at all. Still comes into play starting around 20 but way more tolerable. Since mines tore apart right now I snapped some photos. I researched a lot of sound proofing materials. This Rockville stuff is just as sticky and good as dynamat IMO. See for yourself on line what a big role like this costs in comparison to a small amount of Dynamat. And it comes with a quality roller that wonít break like the Dynamat sends so you then have to purchase a real one! Mine went on well and itís there to stay! Name:  E180B353-1783-4913-A8EE-8A783965CBB1.jpeg
Views: 127
Size:  2.14 MBName:  5E16C757-F609-403E-8DA8-F061F8BF8DD4.jpeg
Views: 146
Size:  2.64 MB

This is the plastic piece under the seatName:  9FA38948-65F4-4C0D-9A2C-3BCB5A7A66F4.jpeg
Views: 157
Size:  810.3 KB

The console and tunnelName:  C13F4129-8080-4617-A79A-2E78A2605D47.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  3.73 MBName:  96E6ACE0-2F09-454B-9B51-34D53F0B4340.jpeg
Views: 150
Size:  4.21 MB

The under side of the bed behind the seatsName:  1C404C96-6616-43D1-B820-76E35DD874CD.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  3.28 MB
    Sireal, LJ3 and blast like this.
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, 1mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 CST Clinchers, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    745 times
    I agree with everything budro said. 28’s, HW sheave kit no shim, 16gr weights slug kit, green spring. no issues. I drive in low 30 and under. I added the sound insulation in the same places. It’s a different brand but it made a difference.
    Budro2 likes this.
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes. Throttlemax pedal
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos/ Factor55 ultrahook.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links