28" tires on stock wheels offset question - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

28" tires on stock wheels offset question

This is a discussion on 28" tires on stock wheels offset question within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; What 28's you run makes a difference. 28 Mudlights are fine, but HTR's rub hard. Ask about the tire you want to run, somebody's tried ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 28" tires on stock wheels offset question

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    588 times
    What 28's you run makes a difference. 28 Mudlights are fine, but HTR's rub hard. Ask about the tire you want to run, somebody's tried it.

Factory rear wheels can be ran all around if you want to run 10's. They will work on the front rims, but are real easy to knock off.

Slug it and get a sheave. I just did a slug and sheave on one that ran 28's for about 1200 miles. You could see the wear on the wet clutch drum.
    Budro2 likes this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    Yeah, slug it for sure... and depending on how much money is in your budget you might want to consider getting portals... then you could easily do 30"s or higher.
    Budro2 and Jraoffroad like this.
    2017 Wolverine R-Spec Blue
    2008 B-King
    1997 KLR650

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    I'm not sure what clearance issues might arise on the 1st Gen Wolverine and 28s, but I run 28x10x12 Bighorn 2.0 all around with no issues at all on my X2. Wider front rims would be better, of course, but I had no trouble mounting the tires. For my type of riding, relatively low-speed, very rocky, I prefer big tires on small-ish rims to allow more sidewall flex and let the tire conform to the terrain better. It also softens the ride noticeably. This setup wouldn't be the best for high-speed trail riding with lots of heavy side loads, but you can always air up for the occasional blast if you have concerns about the beads separating. No question that larger diameter rims are definitely sexier and there is a much larger field of tires to choose from for 14" rims.
    wolvymanx4, DirtRider612 and blast like this.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Super ATV winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsckey View Post
    I'm not sure what clearance issues might arise on the 1st Gen Wolverine and 28s, but I run 28x10x12 Bighorn 2.0 all around with no issues at all on my X2. Wider front rims would be better, of course, but I had no trouble mounting the tires. For my type of riding, relatively low-speed, very rocky, I prefer big tires on small-ish rims to allow more sidewall flex and let the tire conform to the terrain better. It also softens the ride noticeably. This setup wouldn't be the best for high-speed trail riding with lots of heavy side loads, but you can always air up for the occasional blast if you have concerns about the beads separating. No question that larger diameter rims are definitely sexier and there is a much larger field of tires to choose from for 14" rims.
    Tsckey do you have a picture of the tires and rims? Wolveyman and I are in this discussion as he is trying to help my newbie brain imploding OMG, so many accessories hope the wife dont leave me lol. I am trying to see what the real difference between 12 and 14 is

Greg
    Last edited by Greggo; 06-23-2019 at 05:40 AM.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R Spec SE
    OEM Full Front Brush Guard
    OEM Full Poly-carbonate Windshield
    Midland MXT 115 GMRS Radio

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    A smaller rim/tire will be affected more by holes. As stated above, more choices on 14" rims and tires made for sxs. Do you have a warranty? How much mud will be flying on you with 28's?. I ran Mudlite 12x12x27 on both my Rhino's, they were unbelievable. Stock fender flares were not enough. We sometimes make MODs only to create another issue. Mudlites used to be a bias tire, I always wanted to try their radial XTR. Huge difference between bias/radial. Good luck with your choice.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, Warn 4500 wireless winch,synthetic. Sendona wheels, 5/2, Sedona rip saws 27x11xR14 , Moose plow, Furion RV back-up camera, Garmin GPS. All Glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links