28s on Stock Wheels
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

28s on Stock Wheels

This is a discussion on 28s on Stock Wheels within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; I've always treated stock tires as just things to keep the rims from touching the dirt until real tires can be fitted. So, in that ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tsckey
  • 1 Post By Tsckey

Thread: 28s on Stock Wheels

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times

28s on Stock Wheels

I've always treated stock tires as just things to keep the rims from touching the dirt until real tires can be fitted. So, in that spirit, I began casting around for replacements for the stock Maxxis tires for my X2 at about the same time I took delivery in October. After considering what seems like dozens of tires, I finally settled on ITP Evos in 27" 9s in front, 10s in back. That is until I got wind of a deal on a set of 28x10x12 Bighorn 2.0 at all four corners. I'm nothing if not flexible. I was a little concerned about 10" tires on the front, but I shouldn't have worried. They fit fine and no rubbing regardless of suspension articulation or steering angle. So far I am very pleased. I don't even feel any urgency about clutching. Most of my riding is fairly slow speed trail riding with many rocks and some steeps. I have not yet encountered the Rubicon-like challenges that lie ahead, but I suspect things will be fine.

Name:  20190507_165802.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  3.26 MB
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Super ATV winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Weekender
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Seems a lot of people use those. I prefer a bit deeper tread for my area, lots of surprise mud areas.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Yeah, they are really in the moderately aggressive style. We don't get much mud here, mostly rocks, lots and lots of rocks. That's why I switched my target from the Blackwater Evos to Bighorns, which are also on the light side in the 2.0 version, about 28lbs per. So far, they are performing as I'd hoped. Surprisingly smooth on pavement, and predictably progressive on the trail. Much more communicative than the stockers, which also fine tires in their own right.
    wolvymanx4 and Rileyrott like this.
    Tsckey

Champion winch
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I there any height difference from front to rear? I've been told front wheel being a touch narrower that the fronts will be taller.
    2019 Wolverine X2 R-spec Camo.

Hog Chaser
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    They are radial tires, so the tread belts won't allow them to change in diameter. But, though it is very slight, the narrower width will change the contour of the tread, which may cause them to look taller. The same thing happens if you run different pressures, front to rear with rims of the same width. In practical effect, whatever size difference might be theoretically possible due to unequal rim width, it is completely undetectable. What you probably will notice is a difference in sidewall stiffness, front to rear, but you get used to that pretty quickly. I will add, though, that I favor fat, high-aspect tires and relatively small rims for the kind of riding I do - mostly lower speed (under 40) and extremely rocky. The willowy sidewall conforms more easily to the terrain than stiffer, lower aspect tires. If I were to drive regularly on hard, fast trails I'd want at least 14" rims for greater lateral stability.
    Simity likes this.
    Tsckey

Champion winch
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simity View Post
    I there any height difference from front to rear? I've been told front wheel being a touch narrower that the fronts will be taller.
    My front tires are 1/4" taller than the rear. It doesn't seem to be enough that you can tell while driving.
    2018 Wolverine X4 SE
    OEM windshield, roof, and front A-arm guards
    SuperAtv 3500 lb winch and 1.5" wheel spacers
    28x10x12 dirt commanders all around

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    563 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsckey View Post
    They are radial tires, so the tread belts won't allow them to change in diameter. But, though it is very slight, the narrower width will change the contour of the tread, which may cause them to look taller. The same thing happens if you run different pressures, front to rear with rims of the same width. In practical effect, whatever size difference might be theoretically possible due to unequal rim width, it is completely undetectable. What you probably will notice is a difference in sidewall stiffness, front to rear, but you get used to that pretty quickly. I will add, though, that I favor fat, high-aspect tires and relatively small rims for the kind of riding I do - mostly lower speed (under 40) and extremely rocky. The willowy sidewall conforms more easily to the terrain than stiffer, lower aspect tires. If I were to drive regularly on hard, fast trails I'd want at least 14" rims for greater lateral stability.
    It has never accrued to me that everyone has switched to radials. Your info is correct for radials. What you will notice is needing a lower pressure to achieve a flat contact patch. Not really an issue on round profile tires.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave