28s on Stock Wheels - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

28s on Stock Wheels

This is a discussion on 28s on Stock Wheels within the Wheels & Tires forums, part of the General Discussions category; Originally Posted by sasquatch I have been looking at going to 14" rims. If I stay on 12" and go to a 28" tall tire ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 28s on Stock Wheels

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I have been looking at going to 14" rims. If I stay on 12" and go to a 28" tall tire how much more side to side movement will I get with the 12s vs the 14s?
    That's a good question. You're going to lose some flexibility with 14s, but how much might depend on other, related, factors. To a degree, you can compensate for the loss of flexibility by running lower pressure in the tires, but unless you have beadlocks, there is a limit to how low you can go without risking rolling the tire off the rim. The tire's particular characteristics can also make a difference. Some tires are so stiff that you can practically run them with no air on an ATV, for example. It would be hard to compensate for such stiff sidewalls with air pressure. I've read that Mongrels, which are 10 ply rated, are actually very flexible, so I guess it works both ways.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Bighorn 2.0 28x10x12 all around
    Super ATV winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    PRP 4.3 shoulder harness

Spectator
    Member #
    Member #
    "To a degree, you can compensate for the loss of flexibility by running lower pressure in the tires, but unless you have beadlocks, there is a limit to how low you can go without risking rolling the tire off the rim."
    What we'd do on our bigger rigs (1-Ton and Deuce and a half) is run Tubeless tires with Tubes. Then we can still air them down without fearing they come off the Rim as easily. Of course if you're using tubes you can't use the starting fluid trick to get them back on...(as easily).

Pavement Princess
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My riding will consist of riding over rocky trials at speed (30 mph) therefore I will not be aired down very low, 10 PSI is as low as I would ever think about. Just wondering if by going to a 14" rim I would give up a lot of side wall flex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links