Winch 3,500 lb. Great Price until 3/31/19
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

This is a discussion on Winch 3,500 lb. Great Price until 3/31/19 within the Gear & Accessories forums, part of the General Discussions category; Thought I would pass along a great sale price ($99.99) Harbor Freight is having on their 3,500 lb. Badland Winch with remote control, until 3/31/2019. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Winch 3,500 lb. Great Price until 3/31/19

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    615 times

Thought I would pass along a great sale price ($99.99) Harbor Freight is having on their 3,500 lb. Badland Winch with remote control, until 3/31/2019. You have to have what they call their "Super Coupon" with the bar code to be scanned for the discount, but the image I attached below of the "Super Coupon" should be all you need, if you print it out so the cashier can scan the bar code. Yes, it is an inexpensive winch but you hear of very few complaints about them from people who have actually used them.

I have had one (this same exact winch that is on sale) on my Yamaha Grizzly 700 for 6 years and also the same winch on my 2016 Wolverine now for 3 years and have never had a bit of trouble out of either of the winches. I would definitely buy another one if I was in need of a winch. Just a month ago I pulled a stuck RzR 1,000 out without any problem. Was nice winching a Polaris.

This is only the 2nd time in about 3 years that I have seen the 3,500 lb. at this price of $99.99, normally around $119 - $129 is the sale price.

Name:  Winch, Badland, 3,500 lb.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  82.9 KB
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 03-05-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Installed this same winch on my Wolvie last fall. I have yet to use it, but everything in the package seemed to be good quality for the price. I did quite a bit of searching before buying it and as PapaSkeeta says, I couldn't find much for complaints/bad reviews.

-Dan
    2017 Yamaha WOLVERINE R-SPEC EPS SE
    (w/all the S.E. fixin's)

27x9x12/27x11x12 Bearclaw HTRs on OEM Beadlock wheels
    2" Perfex Lift
    Hunterworks PC-V, AIS delete, greaseless sheave - 16g/purple secondary, & slugged wet clutch
    Kolpin Full Tilt Windshield
    Yamaha Soft Rear Window & Cargo Bed Box
    Open Trail 31.5" LED Light Bar on roof
    2 - Auxbeam 3" pods on rear roof
    Concours dash panel
    Pro Armor harnesses
    Badland 3500 Winch on KFI mount

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    487 times
    At that price, that's tempting for a rear winch.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSkeeta View Post
    Thought I would pass along a great sale price ($99.99) Harbor Freight is having on their 3,500 lb. Badland Winch with remote control, until 3/31/2019. You have to have what they call their "Super Coupon" with the bar code to be scanned for the discount, but the image I attached below of the "Super Coupon" should be all you need, if you print it out so the cashier can scan the bar code. Yes, it is an inexpensive winch but you hear of very few complaints about them from people who have actually used them.

I have had one (this same exact winch that is on sale) on my Yamaha Grizzly 700 for 6 years and also the same winch on my 2016 Wolverine now for 3 years and have never had a bit of trouble out of either of the winches. I would definitely buy another one if I was in need of a winch. Just a month ago I pulled a stuck RzR 1,000 out without any problem. Was nice winching a Polaris.

This is only the 2nd time in about 3 years that I have seen the 3,500 lb. at this price of $99.99, normally around $119 - $129 is the sale price.

Name:  Winch, Badland, 3,500 lb.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  82.9 KB
    Download the manual and look at the duty cycle. It’s outrageous. Spend the extra money and when you get stuck you’ll be glad you did.
    MassiveOverkill likes this.
    2018 R-spec EPS

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Ok, the Badlands Full Load Duty Cycle is 5% ( 45 sec. on - 14 min. & 15 sec. cool down). Sounds a bit lame at first, BUT...

...look up the specs of the $450 Warn ProVantage 3500: 15 sec. run then 10 min. cool down at full load. 15/615 = 2.4% Duty Cycle!

So tell me again what the extra $350 is getting you?

Seriously though, I have yet to put my Badland winch to actual use, so I may be singing a different tune then, but for $100 I figure its worth a try.

-Dan
    (w/all the S.E. fixin's)

2" Perfex Lift
    Hunterworks PC-V, AIS delete, greaseless sheave - 16g/purple secondary, & slugged wet clutch
    Concours dash panel
    Pro Armor harnesses

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    615 times
    I believe all Powersports Winches are stated to be for intermittent use only. Most winch manufacturers don't even post a duty cycle as such because so many variables affect it that in a real world situation it is pretty much useless because winch load, temperature, number of layers of cable/rope you have on the drum all affect the duty cycle which is strictly determined by the amount of heat built up from using the winch. Your much better to just touch the winch if it is to hot, let it cool off.

You guys that use them up North for plowing snow, where you are using the winch for long periods of time with little rest are probably taxing them more than in any stuck situation where you are normally winching a very short length of time. The good thing is that your not putting hardly any load on the winch and the temperature is so cold that any heat that is built up is quickly dissipated.

Harbor Freight does state that their duty cycle is at full load capacity of the winch so the 45 seconds does not mean a lot unless you are pulling the full 3,500 lbs. with the winch cable all the way out so that only 1 layer of cable is around the winch drum and after the cable starts a 2nd layer you won't be able to pull the rated capacity for this winch or any other winch. Rated pull capacity drastically decreases with each layer of cable on the drum.

Most all winches say to leave at least 5 spools of cable on the drum so if you consider that you probably have somewhere around 14 spools of cable on the first layer of your winch and if the diameter of this 1st layer of cable is 2.5", then 14 spools of cable less 5 spools to stay on drum leaves you 9 spools to pull to be able to pull the rated capacity of the winch, which is somewhere around 6 feet. For this reason it is always good to have a pulley and snatch block for those hard pulls and will decrease the strain on your winch and allow you to pull more for a longer length of time without getting the winch hot.

Warn will not even give you a duty cycle for their newest VRX or Axon Winches when you call their tech-support (I called), they will tell you right off the bat that to many things can change the duty cycle for it to be meaningful. Warn does say in their Owner's Manual that if you Power Out the winch for 30 feet then let it cool off for 20 minutes, but this is due to the winch working against the automatic break causing heat build up extremely quickly; this probably holds true for all winches with automatic brakes. Much better to free spool the cable/rope out, than to power it out. What Warn does say about the potential for overheating is that if you can't hold your hand on the winch for 3 seconds then let it cool off, this would probably be a good rule of thumb for all winches.

SuperATV states that if you use the winch under a full load for more than a minute then let the winch cool off.

To say that Badland Winches are bad because of their duty cycle is just political rhetoric, tell me what temperature the duty cycle was measured at, the winch motor gear ratio, the diameter of the winch drum for the 1st layer of spooled cable on the winch drum and then and only then can we make a fair comparison with other winches, because different manufacturers may not use the same standards for testing and we have no way of knowing. So forget about duty cycle length of times and if the winch is very hot to the touch, just let it cool off.

For those of us that only use our winch a few times a year the Harbor Freight winch works just as good as any other winch. If your going to use your winch a lot, maybe every time you go ride, then pay more for another brand if that makes you feel more comfortable. The cost of everything is about the value we are getting for x number of dollars spent, after all that is why most of us chose to buy Wolverines instead of a Can-Am, Polaris, John Deere, or Kubota that cost more.
    Last edited by PapaSkeeta; 03-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    jimclemjr, atkbike, Budro2 and 1 others like this.
    2016 R Spec EPS, Realtree, 29x9x14 & 29x11x14 Tusk Warthogs on ITP SS112
    Hunterworks Sheave, Greaseless 18 gr wts (did have 16 gr.), Purple Sec. Spring, Wet Clutch Slugs
    Painted Control/Gear Symbols, Bad Dog Side Mirrors, EMP Panoramic Rear Mirror,
    Interior Overhead LED lights, Blue Floorboard LED Lights, Custom Side Rain Curtains
    Radiator Mud Guards, Yamaha Alum. Front Diff. Guard, Perfex 2" Lift, Winch,
    Grease Fitting Modification for Lower Rear A-Arm, Koso Coolant Temp. Gauge,
    RAM Mounts for GPS & 8" Tablet, Under Seat Storage Box, Folding Windshield,
    EMP Front/ Rear Bumpers, 100W 17" LED light, 18W Rear Flood LEDs 2x
    Great Day Gun Rack, Stebel Air Horn, Adjustable Driver's Seat, Turn Signals,
    Street Legal/TN Tag

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    487 times
    I have seen several occasions of duty cycle abuse and am personally guilty of it myself, but I cannot recall ever seeing one winch failure in the field due to electrical burnout. I have seen a relay failure, bad battery cable connection and several times that the cable/rope would not free-spool when needed. I dare say that the biggest killers of the average winch is the failure of seals and water in the unit rusting away and we the operators not doing the manufacturer recommended maintenance. We should pull them out, clean off, dry and wind back up under load when we get home.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, SATV A-arms, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs, SPAL fan, ACM doors, Lexan moonroof, Pyle rear cam

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    ^^^ Good point!
    (w/all the S.E. fixin's)

2" Perfex Lift
    Concours dash panel
    Pro Armor harnesses

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanDan View Post
    Seriously though, I have yet to put my Badland winch to actual use, so I may be singing a different tune then, but for $100 I figure its worth a try.
    Well, the Badland winch is a virgin no more! She got a good workout last week, and I wanted to post the results.

First, I got high-centered in an unavoidable patch of "quick sand" in the Black River Falls trails. Extended the winch and got tugged free (the spool brake held tight). Then I turned around and winched out the next two side-by-sides. The first made the winch struggle a bit, but the second one almost stalled it. We had to strap another unit behind me to keep me from sliding forward, but with a little patience we got both out even though one had a flat tire and the other a broken axle. The third and final one was still running, so we just used the winch cable as a tow strap and I backed up to help him out.

If that wasn't enough, the next day I sank my Wolvie in a waterhole and had to winch myself out hooking onto another SxS. I was in just about up to the headlights but the winch performed fine even fully submerged.

All in all, I am impressed with the performance of the bargain winch.

-Dan
    jimclemjr likes this.
    (w/all the S.E. fixin's)

2" Perfex Lift
    Concours dash panel
    Pro Armor harnesses

Super Charged
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Ahhh, maybe you want to stick to trails where wheels actually roll over. Sound like a boat pond from all that. Broken axles and all I expect you exceeded the design spec a bit.

Good to hear you got out along with the others.
    2017 Wolverine RSPec SE
    Belleville, Ont. Canada

BearClaw HTR 27 inch tires
    Half windshield
    Roof
    Aluminum Under armor
    Yamaha Warn 3500lb Winch & Synthetic rope
    LED Headlights, Yellow Light Bar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links