Which Winch Survey? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Wolverine Forum

Which Winch Survey?

This is a discussion on Which Winch Survey? within the Gear & Accessories forums, part of the General Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveD I have a quadboss witch my dealer puts on most there machines. Have a 2500lb on my king quad and a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which Winch Survey?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    I have a quadboss witch my dealer puts on most there machines. Have a 2500lb on my king quad and a 3500lb on my wolverine. Had to winch the wolverine a few times and it worked like it's suppose to so I'm happy with it. Not sure on the bracket cause it was instalked at dealer before I took ownership. Both have synthetic. I need to look into the snatch blocks and other items mentioned above. I'm kinda new still to the atv utv club. Any more info on them would be great!
    TSC has a snatch block for $15 and I believe everyone should have one. It does more than at least double your winch power. You can reroute the rope as well. Also a 20' tow strap can give you an anchor or help triangulate the rope to more center it for the pull. As mentioned a cheap lifting sling can serve as a tree saver as well as a loop around a rock or wrap a log and put it between two rocks and is a secure anchor point. You need a clevis or major carabiner type device to help make connections.
    One item that can be very important is to always wind up your winch rope under tension. If you don't, when your need it and put it under load it can sing into the other winding and backlash just like a fishing reel (rope or cable). Last time out in our group of six, when there was a need of a winch three guys winches would not work cause of ignoring this and lack of maintenance. A winch is just an expensive dead weight if you don't use it properly and keep it maintained.
    2016 Wolverine R-spec EPS- Camo, , JBS CVT grind, 16 gr OD, Purple, slugs, JBS mudguards, Autometer Temp Gauge, OEM stickguards, Flip wshield, Auto tie rod ends, Dual batts/manual switch, ALS defeat, Method 14" B-locks, 27" 9 & 11Maxxis Vipr,4000 Moto Max winch, Yama trunk, 20" single row roof light bar, Rigid D pods on bumper, 3"rear cage lower, harness bar and 4 pt harnesses, JBS/Eibach springs

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    657 times
    I agree with Jim, I keep a snatch block, 2 lifting straps to use as tree savers and 2 tow straps. I’ve had to assist in some intense recoveries. The pictures don’t do this justice but this wilcat was on the edge of a very steep slope. I had to strap my machine to a tree, strap a snatch block up hill and run the winch up to it and back down the hill. Without those things the winch would have been useless. It was still really sketchy. One small tree was keeping the wildcat from going 150 feet down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Rspec. Probably everything EMP makes.
    28x10x14 ITP Blackwaters 14" ITP Hurricane's, Spare tire
    2" Perfex lift. Superwinch Terra 45. JBS radiator guards
    TGM/Konstruktor doors. Lots of lighting. Turn Signals. Horn
    Power Commander. YXZ Wheel. Chupacabra side mirrors
    Hunterworks green spring, 16gr weights, Sheave and slug kit
    HMF Titan QS. FDI concepts headlights/halos

Mechanic
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I've had a lot of winches over the years. Have always used Warn until the last couple. I have a KFI stealth 4500 on my current RZR. It has never let me down but one of the mounting holes in the winch stripped out before hitting torque spec. To be fair I rarely use my winches though, usually just to pull friends out. In the 4 years I have had the KFI, I have only used it 3 times.

This time around I am going to try the milemarker 5000 with synthetic rope. The winch is a BEAST according to the specs, so we shall see. It will arrive this Friday but will probably be a week or two before I get it put on.

A winch is a safety item to me, so it is always one of my first purchases even though I rarely use them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WolverineForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atcdan13 View Post
    I agree with Jim, I keep a snatch block, 2 lifting straps to use as tree savers and 2 tow straps. I’ve had to assist in some intense recoveries. The pictures don’t do this justice but this wilcat was on the edge of a very steep slope. I had to strap my machine to a tree, strap a snatch block up hill and run the winch up to it and back down the hill. Without those things the winch would have been useless. It was still really sketchy. One small tree was keeping the wildcat from going 150 feet down
    BTDT.
    Middle of the night on a county rd (well, about 15ft off it in the beginning). Had to get a oil well worker to stop the brine trucks so I could winch it out. It took 3 pulls to get it up the bank then back on it's wheels. We had to put a fence back up the next day. It was not good.

Last edited by Jraoffroad; 01-16-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Piston Yamaha likes this.
    Good judgment comes from experience, most of which comes from bad judgement

2016 R spec Black
    Superwinch Terra 45
    27x9r12 Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD beadlocks
    Bunch of LED lights
    Hunterworks PCV
    AIS delete
    DIY exhaust tip
    JBS Eibach spring kit
    2" Perfex Lift
    Sway Bar Delete
    Hunterworks greaseless sheave
    14g/.5mm shim/Purple secondary
    Slugged wet clutch
    Super ATV EZ steer power steering
    Super ATV High clearance rear A-arms
    Chopped cage

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    I just want to put a plug in here for Motoalliance, I went with their viper elite, which is more money but had a limited lifetime warranty instead of just a one year! I figured that no matter the quality of winch, eventually youíll have a problem. Iím glad i did! Iíve used the winch a lot, and itís performed perfectly. One day I went to pull it out, and it didnít feel very free. Then I noticed a little grease and a cracked drum. The winch continued to work many times after this with the only problem being it didnít free spool out real well. I contacted the place I purchased it because I couldnít find a receipt and they had no record of the purchase. I thought I was S.O.O.L. I sent an email to Motoalliance and they imeadiately resonded and had all the information on file about the purchase including who I was and where I lived. I thought that was impressive service considering I never even dealt directly with them. All they asked for was a photo of the damage, then they said you can send it in and a technician will go through it or we can send you a drum! I opted for them to go through it. Very short turn around, considering shipping two ways. About 2 weeks time. I donít know when I cracked it but Iím pretty sure it was when i had to winch myself around in a circle 180 degrees in 14Ē of snow. All the rope was wadding up on one side of the spool and likely creating a lot of pressure on that side. Nothing I could do about it but technically not the winches fault!
    2016 R SPEC SE
    EMP front and rear bumpers
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    Super ATV flip up windshield
    Sway bar delete
    Tusk visor
    Fabricated quick detach headache rack w/ optional storage rack
    Hunterworks sheeve, 16gr weights, green spring, slippery washers,modified CVT cover, .5 mm shim, slug kit, exhaust tip w/ stock baffle mod, pcv, ais block off plate
    28x10x14 blackwater evos, 14x7 STI HD3 black gloss wheels, 1Ē rear spacers
    Trucker mud flap mod
    2" Gorilla lift
    Seizmik strike mirrors

Sunday Driver
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Had a viper elite widespool 4500 on an extreme pull, all synthetic rope out and snatched up broke the case. Just added an exhaust jack to my tool list very nice.
    2019 X2 R-spec SE, Black, Full cab, heater, wiper, tracks, 4500 wireless winch,synthetic

Slow Poke
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I started out with a SuperATV Black Ops 3500. After it burned out I replaced it with a Champion 3500 from Tractor Supply. It's noisier, but has put up with a lot more than its predecessor.
    Tsckey

2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec SE
    Super ATV winch mount, Half windshield, and Mirrors
    Champion winch
    Kolpin Highrise Snowplow, 66" blade, plus Power Angle
    50 Caliber Racing shoulder harness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links